The Beat of Resistance
ARTISTS: Melissa Dunphy | Marwan Hawash | Rachel Ishikawa | Little Strike | Lime Rickey International | No-No Boy | Sami Rahman | REGO | SETI X | Ushamami | Jess Wu | Year of the Ox
WORKING GROUP: Anthony Martinez-Briggs | Marina Murayama-Nir | Lei Ouyang Bryant
January 24 – March 27, 2020 | Monday – Friday, 10am-6pm
The Beat of Resistance is a musical exhibition showcasing the sounds of Asian America. Focused on beats-oriented music, this metrical program sets the rhythm of moving bodies and movement bodies, to spark mad explosive spontaneity, and get us ready for what promises to be a heavy 2020.
Beat fascism to the beat of resistance. Get ready to move.
*Please note that not all songs featured in the exhibition are available on Spotify. To stream works by Melissa Dunphy, Marwan Hawash, Rachel Ishikawa, and Lime Rickey International, please visit their respective websites.
- Opening Reception+Dance Party: Friday, January 24, 6pm-12am
- Yōsuke DJ, DJ Rana Ransom
- Michelle Fujii Taiko Workshop: Saturday, February 8, 2-4pm
- Michelle Fujii (Unit Souzou)
- International Womxn’s Day: Saturday, March 7, 4-10pm
- Superknova, Messapotamia Lefae
- CANCELLED - Punk Night!: Saturday, March 14, 7:30-10pm
- Awaaz Do, Material Support, Namatay Sa Ingay
- CANCELLED - Closing Reception: Friday, March 27, 6-9pm
- Melanie Hsu, Muzikaldunk
- Taiko & Asian American Experiences: Tuesday, April 21, 6:30-8pm
- A presentation by students from Swarthmore College
Asian Arts Initiative is designed as a mobility accessible facility, with access to all public floors and spaces, and seating accommodations for programmed events. Both non-gendered and individually isolating restrooms are available on each floor, all equipped with changing stations. If contacted in advance, we will make every attempt to fulfill requests for reasonable accommodations such as vision/hearing auxiliary aids and cognitive disability guides. Please note: Due to most events being attended by the general public, we cannot guarantee accommodations for those with fragrance sensitivities. AAI is a family-friendly multigenerational space.